Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What is the true meaning of Matthew 19:9? I see and hear about adultery and divorce, it is an epidemic? ?

I see so-call Christians divorcing their spouse for any and everything. I see husbands cheating on their wives, I know about wives (some even my friends) deceitfully planning on how to get out of their rocky marriage in order to be with some other man..I mean what is the deal? You see when I read Matthew 19:9 which JESUS says '; I tell you that whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and he who marries her when she is divorced commits adultery.'; World English Bible


Well, to me that means that the only way that one can divorce their mate is if their mate committed adultery. If that is the case then why is it that anybody can get a divorce for any reason and it be considered valid? I guess if someone did get a divorce for any reason that wasn't adultery, wouldn't they really still be married, according to the BIBLE? It just seems to me that if we all followed this standard stated in the Bible, it would make the divorce rate go down and I think that people would would become more cautious about just rushing in and getting married. I am so sad when I see and hear about how soooo many people are getting divorced.What is the true meaning of Matthew 19:9? I see and hear about adultery and divorce, it is an epidemic? ?
What a keen observation! You are definitely correct in your interpretation of this scripture, Matthew 19:9. We have to remember that in ';the beginning'; when God created Adam and the created Eve for him, there was no provision for divorce, WHY? Because they had become one flesh, and had been yoked together by God. So, what God had yoked together no man (legal government, document, husband or wife, family, friends, childeren) could put it apart. However, man had become imperfect and with that came imperfect actions, especially actions based on selfishness.


Thus, you have people divorcing for all kinds of reasons, which are based on selfishness: arguing, verbal/physical/mental abuse, money, in-laws, delinquent children, falling ';out of love';, incompatibility, emotional affairs, etc, the list goes on and on. However, if we just go by the standard set out in Matthew 19:9, which would be fornication (adultery), as being the only ground for getting a divorce, which would free one to remarry, yes, we would see a drop in the divorce rate. Now, that doesn't mean that if a spouse is being abused verbally, mentally, emotionally, physically, or that their spirituality is being endangered, or what if the husband refuses to support his family they are not obligated to stay in an unhealthy marriage (we are commanded to LOVE and RESPECT our mates, the second greatest commandment is to LOVE our neighbors, and who is our closest neighbor? Our spouse) then they may need to get a legal seperation or legal divorce TO PROTECT OR PROVIDE for themselves, but, according to the Matthew 19:9, they would still be married in God's eyes. So then, what should they do? Work on themselves, encourage their mates to do the same, and allow time to help each one grow so that they can resume their marriage one day.What is the true meaning of Matthew 19:9? I see and hear about adultery and divorce, it is an epidemic? ?
Well something like 70% of all married people cheat sometime during the marriage, so maybe the divorce rate wouldn't go down all that much. People need to stop cheating, then it might go down.


Also, there have to be SOME other exceptions, like abuse for instance, where divorce would be okay. Also in the Catholic church it's acceptable to get a divorce (or annulment I guess) if one spouse refuses sex and therefore refuses children.
Anyone can get a divorce for any reason because there is a separation of Church and State (at least here in the US) and the State is the governing body that grants divorces. It is much more difficult to undo a marriage in the Church. How many people do you know, for example, that have been married in the Catholic Church more than once. Not too many ';irreconcilable differences'; there.
It is true divorce is widespread in U.S. People are tossing their partners the same way they do disposable diapers. I am not religious but they need family values, some are mirroring what their parents did. If they really meant their vows, for richer of poorer, in sickness and health, until death do us part; there would a lot less divorce.
You are correct in your interpretation. The only biblical reason for divorce is adultery. A husband is to love his wife, and wife is to respect her husband. Our society does not always follow biblical principals any longer hence the reasoning for broken families and loss of moral character.
It means just what it says. You should not divorce except for adultery.





I am a Christian and that is what I believe. Not all are and they don't hold themselves to those rules. Certainly if more did the divorce rate would go down.
When will people learn, the bible is no more a life coach than a coloring book.
My first husband WAS CHEATING!





THAT is why I divorced HIM!
Who is he!
So what do you do if your husband snaps one day and starts beating you. After you got married. Or your wife starts to do drugs and you can not help her. I think that the divorce rate is to high. Little things can be fixed if both are willing to work on it. But the really big stuff like that are near impossible to fix. Some can but most are doomed to fail. It is God place to judge not us.
I had just read in the bible that same thing. I am divorced and have


been for at least 15 years. I have not re-married. Until now I did not


know I am not to re- marry that it would be a sin. I believe it is good


to read the bible because even when you go to church you can not


trust the Rev. to cover every thing. And this is a good example. If


we are to say ';In God We Trust'; as a nation why are we allowing


people to get married again?
According to the bible divorcing is against God. But you can divorce for more reasons than one according to the scriptures. There's really only two reason. One in which you already clarified (adultery) and the other is abandonment. But you ask why do so many so called christians always seem to get divorced or cheat on their partners. Well I myself being a christian married woman has never stepped out side of marriage neither has my husband. But so many people including so called christian marry for all the wrong reason now and days. Out of my own opinion I think maybe 2 out of 10 people marry for love in this day and time. Now and days its all about how much money they make or how he/she pleases me sexually. But both of those things can disappear over time so it's really silly to base a holly thing like marriage off of those. Plus nobody wants to wait for God to send them a mate any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment