Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Purchasing an iMac, specs for video editing?

So, I'm looking at jumping over to an iMac for my next machine. I really don't do much pc gaming anymore, and I'm very interested in Final Cut Xpress.





What I would like to hear from folks who've dealt with it is this: How much ram would you advise for video work? I'm looking to get the basic Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz w/2gb ram, and likely upgrade to 4gb.





I'm not looking at HD video, just some basic MiniDV quality video, which will be cut, and uploaded to the web.





From someone who has experience with FinalCut, or even iMovie\iFilm\whatever the basic included software is called(lol), is 2-4gb going to be enough to *COMFORTABLY* edit video like this? At the longest, these will be 15 minute 'webisodes', though that does mean the scrap film will likely be about 2-4 hours per shoot.





Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm just getting out of some massive debt from a cheating ex-spouse, so I don't want to go too nuts with a $2000 computer, and I'm hoping this basic setup will do the job for around $1100.Purchasing an iMac, specs for video editing?
4 gb is prob the norm these days, but if i were yuo id go with 6 or 8(its not as expensive as it sounds)





and try to get one with a video card as wellPurchasing an iMac, specs for video editing?
If you want a *real* video editing machine, get an PC with a quad-core processor. You can get Adobe Premiere Elements which is very similar to (and IMO better than) Final Cut Xpress (and you can upgrade later to Adobe Premiere Pro which is actually better than Final Cut Pro.





You can also easily get 4GBs of RAM or more in a PC. You definitely want a lot of RAM for video editing... and a ton of HD space. I mean... the PC wins on every front... seriously... don't get a Mac. You'll just gimp yourself.





Oh yeah, and you can easily get all this in a PC for under $1100.
  • windows live
  • short hair styles
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment