Monday, August 16, 2010

How can you regain that feeling of being in love after dealing with the effects of a Bipolar spouse?

My husband is Bipolar. We have been together a total of almost 5 years, 4 of which we were dating and then the past year we just got married. I'm having a hard time from the past couple of years not knowing that he had this disorder. He almost cheated on me during a manic phase, where he had a hyper sexuality and immediately went to a depressive stage where he was distant and needed me right after he hurt me. We finally moved on from that and he apologized but he still had ups and downs. Finally this past December he went to the Psychiatrist and was diagnosed with Bipolar. He's now on meds and is doing well. He treats me well and is for the most part a great husband. But lately I'm feeling more like a best friend instead of someone in love. I don't know what to do. Yes he's better but he also has completely changed from when I first met him. He loves me very much but going through all of this, my heart isn't feeling the love I felt before. Is there anyone that can relate that can help?How can you regain that feeling of being in love after dealing with the effects of a Bipolar spouse?
I'm sorry that you feel this way. It must be a terrible burden.The fact that his meds are working is a major plus. I too am bipolar. My husband has stuck by me for thirteen years and it hasn't been easy for either of us.I feel guilty for all that i've put my family through. It's like being trapped inside myself.I miss the way I felt in the beginning.The powerful feelings of love and such. Sounds like your relationship has reached a new level.Friendship is the most wonderful thing in a relationship.Unfortunately we haven't reached this.Maybe you can do something spontaneous like a walk in the woods with a picnic. Something you two can do to get lost in eachother.Embrace the new relationship for the wonders that you two can discover together.It has to be hard to love someone with bipolar but its equally difficult to have bipolar. He's very lucky to have you in his life. Sometimes we loose sight of that. Best of luck to both of you.How can you regain that feeling of being in love after dealing with the effects of a Bipolar spouse?
Be very happy that you can call this man your best freind...and continue to work with him on his disease...you sound pretty lucky to me...he even has a job...wow..
He does not have bipolar disorder, he sins like everyone else. Who doesn't get depressed? Who doesn't have mood swings at times? Who is without sin.


People need to quit excusing sinful behavior with a disorder of some sort. You don't have to be bipolar to cheat.


Go to church, you might find some help there.
maybe you could try couples counseling.





if he has bipolar disorder, has his psychiatrist suggested a therapist? i was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 30 years ago, and therapy was always my best medicine.





you have to realize, however, that therapy only works when the person WORKS the therapy.





take care and all the best.
It's neither realistic nor possible for someone to still be ';in love'; after 5 years. I think I read somewhere that the brain can only sustain that ';in love'; state for about 2 years before it fades to companionship, friendship and fondness. There's nothing wrong with that. It's normal. But sexy romantic nights in expensive hotel rooms help. Lol
I would strongly suggest couples counseling. My husband was diagnosed after a car accident that we had almost 7 years ago. We came out of the accident on opposite ends, me knowing that we were alive for a reason and ready to figure that out and my husband wondering why we weren't dead. It consumed him and when he finally got help he was diagnosed, although looking back I think he always was this way. We have been through so much with different medications and his persistance that he doesn't need his meds. He is not physically abusive but when he is unstable he is unreliable, disrespectful and can be verbally abusive to not only me but our children as well. He took himself off meds in October and it has been terrible. We are now in the process of separating and again I am getting bombarded with his mistrust and hurtful comments. He says he still loves me but because of the hurt he has caused for the last 7 years I have become unable to forgive and move forward and also have lost those feelings that I had when we first married.


I can't stress enough, talk with your spouse when you are able and talk together with someone who understands the bipolar and can help you to understand what is going on in his mind and body and learn ways to communicate your feelings without hurting each other.


Don't know if this is helpful...just thought I would share.

No comments:

Post a Comment